7 September 1992: as many as 80,000 protesters gathered outside of Bisho, the then capital city of Ciskei, and demanded an end to the military government of Brigadier Joshua Gqozo and the re-absorption of the so-called black homeland into South Africa.  The Ciskei Defence Force opened fire and continued firing indiscriminately into the crowd for about five minutes using machine guns and rifle grenades. Several young men were shot in the back as they fled.  No warning was issued, and no attempts were made to use non-lethal means to disperse demonstrators.

8 September 1986: a bomb exploded in the ANC office in Stockholm Sweden. The office was severely damaged but nobody was killed. The bombing was part of a broader strategy of the apartheid government in the 1970s and 80s that sought to eliminate or neutralise South African liberation movements and the Anti-Apartheid movement outside the country. Both African and non-African countries that supported Anti-Apartheid movement and the ANC were targeted.

8 September 1991: 13 people were killed and 18 injured in an attack on Soweto residents after the IFP rally at Jabulani Stadium.

9 September 1986: Andrew Sibusiso Zondo was executed at the age of 19 after he was found guilty of a bomb attack in a shopping centre in Amanzimtoti.  Zondo was a member of the ANC’s Butterfly Unit of Umkhonto weSizwe (MK).

10 September 1984: renewed detention orders were issued to members of the United Democratic Front including its President Archibald Gumede. A month earlier, just before the elections for the new Tricameral Parliament the same UDF members had been held without charge.

11 September 1990: in a bid to avert further hiccups in its talks with the ANC, the apartheid government released seven ANC members from prison.

12 September 1989: Advocate Anton Lubowski (37), Secretary-General of SWAPO was shot dead at close range with an AK47 rifle in Windhoek. The Civil Co-Operation Bureau (CCB) was held responsible for the assassination of Lubowski.

13 September 1984: 6 political refugees,  Archie GumedeMewa RamgobinGeorge Sewpersahd, M.J. Naidoo, Billy Nair and Paul David sought refuge in the British consulate in Durban and asked the British government to intervene on their behalf. This left the British government in a difficult position. It could not expel the men into the hands of the police, but it sat with an embarrassing use of their consulate.

Posted in Articles.

Leave a Reply